They looked like little grill marks.
On closer inspection I realized that is was a burn from a heater.
I quickly recalled a weird moment in the middle of the night when Whiskey came into the room and made a nest on the blanket, which usually falls onto the floor at some point in the night.
It appears that at somehow Whiskey accidentally bumped the baseboard heater that sits on the wall beside our bed, and turned it on.
We have not even turned it on once this winter, and I'm constantly checking it to make sure it is off because I'm paranoid about the house burning down.
We have baseboard heaters throughout the entire apartment and we're always so careful that nothing is near them. Any time we turn on the bathroom heater, we move the towels off their hooks above it.
The mat and shoes are kept at a safe distance from the one in the front hall.
And we never put anything near the big heater that sits behind the dining room table.
The fact that the DOG could do it in the middle of the night creeped me out completely. What if he turned it on when we weren't home?!?!
As angry as I was, I have to admit that it is hard to stay mad at this face very long. Now it just means we have to be extra vigilant about making sure he hasn't bumped up against it and turned it on.
Just reminds me that you can never be too careful! Be safe, folks!